Dr. Saman Fawzi Omar
An Assistant Professor at the College of Law and Politics
Law and Politics
- Name: Dr. Saman Fawzi Omer
- Current Residence: Iraq-Sulaimani
- Date and Place of Birth: Nov. 6. 1975/ Iraq-Irbil
- Marital Status: Married
- Last Office Address: Iraqi Council of Representatives
- Mobile Number: +9647701576924
- Mother Tongue: Kurdish
- Other Languages: Arabic (fluent), English (fair)
- Computer Skills: Good
- Scientific title: Assistant Prof in law since 2013.
- Ph.D. in law from the University of Sulaimani/ College of Law in the field of civil Law in 2007.
- Master of Laws in 2003 from the University of Sulaimani/ College of Law with (Very Good) grade. The Title of the thesis is (Civil Responsibility of Journalist Resulted from His/her Professional Mistakes). This was the first Master that has been granted after the fall of Saddam Regime.
- Bachelor of Laws from the University of Salahaddin/ College of Law and Politics (1997-1998). I was among the top ten students.
- Approximately two years of experience as a lawyer in Irbil.
- Two years of experience as an agal Investigator in the police station of coping crimes in Irbil getting a letter of Thanks and Appreciation from the head of Irbil Court.
- Editor of the Horaz Student Newspaper.
- Member of the Body of Editors of (Xabati Xwendkaran “Struggle of Students”) newspaper in 1996. I was responsible for one page under the name of (Philosophy and Social Researches.
- Member of the Body of Editors of a (Tarazw) magazine issued by The Kurdistan Jurists Union in 1998.
- Working with (Itihad) newspaper 2000, issued by Kurdistan Patriotic Union and managing one page under the name of (Freedom of Expression).
- Working in consultancy body of several legal and political magazines, I still work for some of them.
- I have taught classes at the University of Sulaimani/ College of Law and Politics/ Politics Department/ Evening Branch.
- Coordinator of two combined projects which are carried out by the International Human Rights Institute (IHRLI)/ Depaul University/ Chicago, joining the IHRLI staff in Iraq in 2005.
- Head of the College of Law and Politics/ Department of Politics at the University of Sulaimani for 4 years.
- Assistant Dean of the College of Law and Politics/ Law Department Evening Branch at the University of Sulaimani.
- I was a member of Iraqi Council of Representatives from 2009 up to date.
He has been teaching the following major classes in different colleges at the University of Sulaimani:
- Media Law
- Civil law- real rights (lw406)
- History of Law
- Labor Law and Social Insurance
- Methods of Scientific Research
- Internet Media and its Legal Problems
- Rules and Regulations of Law
- Administrative law
- Civil Contracts
- The law in public
- Civil law
- Media law
- Defamation law
- Political and permanent works
- Human rights
1. BOOK PUBLISHED
- (To Where Novel Takes Us) literary work in Kurdish in 2001.
- (Martyr “Shwan” is an Identity of Student Movement), in Kurdish, history of student movement 2002.
- (Civil Responsibility of Journalist Resulted from His/her Professional Mistakes) in Arabic 2003.
- (Internet Media and its Legal Problems) in Kurdish 2004.
- (Abusing the Right to criticize) in Arabic, printed in Egypt 2009.
- (Media under the Sight of Law) a collection of interviews and speeches in Kurdish, 2009.
- (100 Questions about Media Law) in Kurdish 2011.
- (Comprehensive Studies in the Media Law) in Arabic 2011.
2. ARTICLES IN LAW REVIEWS AND NEWSPAPERS
- The role of Law in Developing Society, Tarazw MagazineNo. 3 1998.
- The Place of Individual in the Public International Law, Law Magazine, No. 3 2001, issued by the College of Law/ University of Sulaimani.
- Using Parapsychology in Criminal Investigation, Law Protection Magazine No. 3, 1996, issued by the College of Law/Evening Branch/ University of Salahaddin.
- Legal Protection for Human Right on His/her Picture, Zanko Magazine No. 13, 2004.
- Basic and Nature of Criminal Responsibility of Owner and Editor-in-Chief of the Newspaper, Zanko Magazine, No. 16, 2004.
- Civil Protection for the Human Rights to Be Forget His Past, Koya Magazine, 2009.
OTHER ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Participating in a symposium at the College of Law/ University of Salahaddin in 1996 by a research under the name of (Using Parapsychology in Criminal Investigation) gettiMansouraer of thanks and appreciation.
- Participating in the committee of writing the draft of Kurdistan Media Law in 2001.
- Presenting a number of workshops and courses about the rights of children and women.
- Presenting several interviews and speeches about the constitution and national security at the time of drafting the Iraqi and Kurdistan constitution.
- Presenting several workshops and courses in Sulaimani, Baghdad, Irbil, and Karkuk with the NGOs like (CDO, IWPR, NPA, DHRD, PAO, etc…..).
- Participating in a number of seminars and workshops at the Universities of Cairo, Mansoura, Alexandria, and Azhar.
- Participating in a workshop in Italy for 3 weeks at the Higher Education Institute for Criminal Science in Siracusa in July 2004.
- Participating in a conference about the Ethics of Legal Profession and its Role in Promoting the Rule of Law which was organized by the International Human Rights Law Institute/ De Paul University-Chicago in 2004.
- Participating in 2 legal and political conferences about the new Iraqi Constitution and Ownership Problems in Iraq at the College of Politics at the University of Baghdad in 2004.
- Supervising the Iraqi Team in the International Jessup Competition for Public International Law students in Washington in 26/3/2005 getting a Letter of Thanks and Appreciation for the excellent result that we have got in that Completion.
- Participating in many Academic Activities in the US in 2005.
- Participating in the Defense Team for many master thesis and Ph.D. dissertations.
- Supervised a number of Master and Ph.D. students at departments of law and media in the University of Sulaimani.
- Participating in an international leadership visitor program (IVLP) in U.S.A as an only Iraqi parliament with 6 Kurdistan parliament in the year 2013, and they stay for this purpose (25) days.